View Single Post
Old October 21, 2012, 09:04 PM   #32
InigoMontoya

UPDATE:

This weekend was the season opener for quail. Myself and a few coworkers went on a camping/hunting trip. Had a blast. Didn't get any birds (drought has really taken it's toll!), but had a lot of fun.

The "best" part (if that word applies) was that I was an hour into the hunt the first time I thought about my dad. I was tired from walking so I sat down on a rock to rest and it hit me... There I was, comfortably sitting down with a shotgun in my lap... The last pose my father struck. I thought about how easy it would be to do it myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suicidal or depressed. When I say "how easy it would be" I'm referencing the physical act, not expressing any sort of desire.

So sitting on the rock was a decidedly sobering buzzkill moment but after I got back up and started walking again I was back in the game.

In summary: The scars are obviously still there, but the mental aversion has been overcome.

On a side note: A few weeks ago I bought a (replica) Remmington Model 1858. I'd never fired cap and ball before and the purchase was an impulse buy. But I brought it along as something to play with in camp... Great fun!

Page generated in 0.02091 seconds with 8 queries