View Single Post
Old July 15, 2001, 07:16 PM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I forget the name of the guy who's boss of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), but in an interview-article for one of the sporting mags (Sports Afield?) he said that after hunting is ended, fishing is next.

Hang together or be hanged separately.

It's hard to make some target shooters and skeet shooters understand that it's an ANTI-GUN thing, not just an anti-killing thing.

The same for fishing: Dry flies or worms or lures; fresh water or salt--the antis want to stop it all.

I first learned to use a fly rod some 50 years ago. But I'm just as happy worm fishing for perch, or trolling in saltwater for king mackeral or whatever shows up...Sorry, but fishin' is fishin' is fishin', absent using electricity, rotenone or dynamite.

I'm a walking hunter, which I think takes more skill than sittin'-huntin'. So what? I don't look down on anybody who loves the outdoors and kills his meat cleanly and fairly. We're all in it together.

Bullseye, IPSC, IDPA, benchrest, CAS--it's all the same. Mostly good folks. Same for fishing, whether it's BASS or the Isaac Walton-ers. And I don't worry about the occasional doofus in any of them.

$0.02,

Art

Page generated in 0.03824 seconds with 8 queries