View Single Post
Old January 2, 2012, 04:35 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

Personally, I would never follow a robber outside after a robbery, and I probably wouldn't shoot a robber if he appeared to be de-escalating by going for the door. I would probably try to find cover instead, if I hadn't already. Chasing after someone puts you at a tactical disadvantage. Following a robber outside after he exits a store puts you at serious risk of being perceived as the aggressor by bystanders, or by arriving police.

ETA: link to article http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world...a-1286015.html

The article says that the off-duty NYPD officer and retired Nassau officer saw the ATF agent and the robber in a "skirmish" outside as they approached the store. It's easy to see how that could have gotten out of control.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Last edited by tyme; January 2, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

Page generated in 0.03481 seconds with 8 queries