View Single Post
Old April 15, 2011, 11:17 AM   #62
maestro pistolero

I might have first picked up the pace a bit. Once it's clear you are being pursued by multiple suspects, there is a disparity of force that weighs in as to justified self-defense.

If, at some point is escape becomes impossible or unlikely, it is time to call them on their intentions. Ordering them to STOP, DON'T COME ANY CLOSER, with your hand on our weapon, but perhaps not drawn, may be a good next step before actually pointing it at them. If they close distance after that, there can be little doubt of their intentions.

Was the OP perfect in his response? No. Did he have a reason to fear for his safety and that of his girlfriend? Probably.

I reserve judgment, as I wasn't there, and the OP clearly didn't intend to threaten anyone except to deter a perceived, potential attack. He just needs perhaps one or two more tactics in his back pocket.

My two cents.

Quote:
. . . that if you pull you should be shooting.
Highly doubtful. As pointed out, the overwhelming majority of justified uses of force end without a shot being fired.
Quote:
You just can not draw your gun because you feel "unsafe"
Not completely accurate. Or, at least, not the whole picture.

In most states, if a person 'reasonably believes' that life or limb is in imminent danger, lethal force is justified. That legal description is a whole lot like 'feeling unsafe'. It just clarifies that it has to be reasonable. And it may or may not include actually having to shoot.

Page generated in 0.02842 seconds with 8 queries