View Single Post
Old April 2, 2009, 11:15 AM   #26
bub75

No, it's not any better today and maybe worse.

I an a firearms instructor for my small PD (6 full-time including Chief and another 8 part-time). Firearms policy is pretty lenient- you can carry basically anything you want excepting SA-only and Magnums, minimum duty gun caliber .38/9mm. Dept has some issue guns if you want them, a couple old 1st Gen G17 or some newer Beretta 92FS.

Most buy their own guns, with Glock of various calibers (9mm and .40) dominating. Other guns include 2 Glock 21 (one mine), one Sig P226, one S&W 3rd Gen 9mm (I can't remember what model # off the top of my head) and one old timer still carrying a S&W Model 66 revolver. Most at least keep their guns rust-free and free of the bigger chunks of debris, but that would be the extent of their efforts. The two guys currently carrying Dept issue guns (1 G17, 1 92FS) definately aren't gun guys and the condition of their guns shows this. I have never seen a Glock rust, but this Officer's G17 is showing some rust on the internals (what you can see for all the dirt and filth that hasn't been cleaned in far too long) from lack of care that borders on abuse. The one carrying the 92FS isn't much better, with rust spots on the barrel, trigger, slide stop, safety and takedown lever. The problem is, since they aren't gun guys, they just don't care at all. The gun is merely another tool that they have to wear on their belt when they work, and their qualification scores show it, too. They can't be bothered to maintain their guns or practice if the Dept won't pay them to.

The Chief is no better. With budget cuts, we qualify once a year. That's it, once a year. The Dept will not provide practice ammo, either, which means that even those who care to some extent do not go out and practice. There are only two or three of us who care enough to go out and practice at our own expense. Also, the Chief will not let us (myself and the other instructors) do anything about the lack of care to the weapons. Given this, what can you do? You can't make them care when no one else cares or lacks the will to make them care through disciplinary measures.

This is the way it is at our small Dept. I can only imagine what it is like at bigger Depts. Treating guns like this ought to be criminal!

Bub

Page generated in 0.03607 seconds with 8 queries