View Single Post
Old September 26, 2009, 12:54 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Why fawns? Have you ever had a nice piece of Veal? Antelope is tender and lean, to begin with. Add the fawn factor to it, and it's melt-in-your-mouth goodness.

Rangerfinder.... Yea, rangefinders are nice. However, in order to buy a rangefinder useable at the distances seen in the area we hunt (400 yards in a close shot); you're looking at well over $1000 for the equipment. (Even semi-'high end' rangefinders are usually only rated for "reflective" objects beyond ~300 yards. Mother Nature doesn't produce many reflective animals, trees, bushes, grasses, or anything else seen in most animal habitats.) Last time I checked, I could pay for 10 years worth of tags and licenses, with what a useable rangefinder would have run.

As for animals #2 and #3 here: Yea, they were a combination of crappy shots. However; they were not taken from a bench, at known distances, with the ability to dope the wind and time to make windage and elevation adjustments to the scope. These shots were taken after long stalks (over 2 miles for #3), in the field, on small targets, in windy conditions. The wind, by the way, was calm for these shots. Some of you may think 35 mph is way too much to attempt a shot, but where we were hunting.... 35 mph is the 'afternoon breeze'. You don't see anything under 20 mph unless you're in a deep creek bed, or it's 1:00 am. If you don't learn to shoot in a strong, variable wind; you don't shoot at all.

As I mentioned in my last post, these animals were the exceptions to our hunt. I'll get the others posted soon. I believe they consist of 3 heart shots (single shot kill), and 1 spine shot. (can't remember if it needed a finisher)

Page generated in 0.03128 seconds with 8 queries