View Single Post
Old August 16, 2010, 06:48 PM   #28
Mr. James

sakeneko,

Not that it would change your response at all, but DarkRayz did say the rifle had no magazine in place. 'Course, that's not necessarily the same as unloaded.

I am an ardent supporter, and practitioner, of legal open carry of a sidearm. I also have no quarrel with responsibly carrying a rifle, in the proper context. But this is just plain goofy. Carrying a rifle into the store in that fashion, as opposed to slung, is going to have me moving perhaps to "burnt sienna," too. (That's classic, by the way!) The guy's calm demeanor means less than nothing to me. How many spree shooters have been described as "calm" and "methodical" as they laid waste to innocent bystanders, school kids, co-workers? Uh-uh, not this mother's son. I'm going to be preparing for active defense or evasion post haste.

Contrast this, if you will, with open carry of a sidearm, properly holstered. The firearm stays in that holster, often only minimally visible, and the owner doesn't go anywhere near it unless absolutely necessary.

So, TailGator nailed it. This guy manufactured this situation, quite painstakingly. It wasn't a single bad decision, but a confluence of decisions that put him in a needlessly tense, and quite possibly dangerous, situation. Depending on the locale and the reaction of the other customers or staff, it could have had fatal consequences. Why? Because he refused to buy a rifle case or at least a darned sling? Because he couldn't be inconvenienced?

Survey SAYS: Moron.

Stay safe,

Bob James

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat

Page generated in 0.03340 seconds with 8 queries