View Single Post
Old June 9, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1
rickyjames

remington model 788 problem

i have a remington model 788 in 7mm/08 caliber that i bought new for my father many years ago. my son has taken possession of the rifle after my dads passing. the gun probably has less than 200 rounds thru it since new. it is a very accurate rifle but we are having problems.

the gun has spent almost its whole life in a gun case but cleaned and oiled reguraly. we took the gun out shooting the other day, first time in years and we had problems.

first problem: after shooting the spent case has a fresh shaving off the brass rim, from the bolt. this is something that the gun has done before but has not affected the action or accuracy.

second problem: with each shot the bolt became harder to operate. the bolt has become extremly hard to open or close. this is something it has never done until this last outing. also when forcing the bolt open the spent shell won't eject, it gets stuck on the bolt. it also is punching out the used primer from the last 2 shots when we pry the spent shell off the bolt. because the bolt got harder to operate with each shot we only shot 6 rounds thru it and put it away. after a couple of scope adjustments we put 2 shots thru the bull, almost thru the same hole at 100 yds.

anyone have any ideas what the problem is? i have never had a problem like this in any gun i own. it seems like the problem is with the bolt. possibly the lack of use (less than 200 rounds lifetime use) has affected the bolt? not enough lube? too much lube? something sticking inside the bolt? any ideas or help? thanks.

Page generated in 0.02991 seconds with 8 queries