View Single Post
Old August 19, 2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Lost Sheep

Why no one lists H110 for the 45 Colt

Based on little more than the absence of load data for older (originally black powder cartridges) I will venture the guess that H110 does not burn reliably at the kinds of pressures that guns chambered for the old black powder cartridges can stand.

Hodgdon, the manufacturer of H110, recommends to NEVER reduce H110 load data more than 3%. That indicates to me that less than optimal pressure is a bad idea. Most of the load data I have found for H110 are over 33,000 CUP. I suspect some of the replica firearms and older guns around are not capable of digesting 33k, and that probably includes the Judge as well.

Erratic burning because of reduced H110 loads is said to be the cause of pressure spikes in some guns that has resulted in blowups. Does not happen every time. In fact, ballisticians have trouble inducing the condition reliably and some people even claim it doesn't happen. But that has not reassembled a single gun.

My advice, stick with powders that behave better at Colt 45 pressures than H110 does.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.03698 seconds with 8 queries