View Single Post
Old January 25, 2013, 01:24 AM   #62
monkey95

From my Senator,

Thank you for contacting me with your view regarding gun control and the Second Amendment. First, my thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who lost their life in the tragedy that took place in Connecticut. However, taking rights away from responsible citizens will not prevent future horrific events from happening.

The Obama Administration's recently announced plan amounts to a power grab in my opinion. I will fight any legislation that further restricts qualified owners' access to guns. I am also against the President using executive orders to circumvent the will of the people and infringe on the constitutional rights of my constituents.

The right to bear arms is guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the Constitution, and I am a consistent supporter of that right. I believe that violent crime must be reduced, but I will not support measures that infringe upon the Constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens.

I support an individual's right to defend themselves, their family, and their property with a legally obtained firearm. This right is put in jeopardy by those advocating stricter control measures. The gun control movement hurts law-abiding citizens and businesses, not the criminals who care nothing for the law. I believe we can better reduce the misuse of firearms by strongly enforcing laws already on the books and maintaining responsible judiciaries.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please let me know how I may be of further assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Joe Barton
Member of Congress

Page generated in 0.03055 seconds with 8 queries