View Single Post
Old February 9, 2013, 12:11 PM   #25
Glenn Dee

Of course this is just my opinion based on my own experiences.

Fighting a "J" frame sized revolver is a bit different than a full sized revolver or even any autoloader. While many people are capable of great accuracy at distance... thats not the J frame sized revolvers forte'. J frames are up close and personal desperation guns.

The J frame is in it's environment when within contact distance. I dont know if anyone has fired a J frame with porting... I have. You seriously risk setting yourself, or something else on fire when firing it. One of the better features of a J frame revolver is the ability to shoot through a purse, a pocket, a bag, almost anything... With the porting it may catch afire. IMO Porting seriously negates one of the J frame's most valuable tactical advantages. I honestly dont have a clue to any advantages there are to having any revolver ported.

Many of us have become addicted to the whole light weight craze. A light weight gun is to be carried a lot but shot very little. Not to preserve the gun... it's just that shooting them is uncomfortable to most people. Another negative of the light weight it can get lost... you dont have the weight pulling at your body to remind you that the gun is there. An example is a friend of mind who switched to a scandium gun and carried in IWB. He used a public bathroom, and put the gun in his pocket. After finishing his business he washed up and walked away... I'll never forget the look of panic he had when he realized the gun wasnt in his waist band. Light weight gun's = out of sight out of mind. I carry a light weight J frame from time to time... I'm not knocking them...I'm just suggesting that they have their issues.

AS far as I know (and I could be wrong) the .357 gives optimum performance out of a barrel of between 4 and 6 inches. a .357 fired from a 2" barrel may not have much of a return in power for the loss of control in the hand gun. But I'm not a ballistics guy.

My recomendation for a "J" framed revolver would be ... well a J framed S&W revolver in stainless steel, or carbon steel. Or the Ruger SP series is IMO as good, and in some cases maybe better. The Colt short barrel "D" frame steel revolvers are a tad bigger but again just as good.

Again just my opinion... but a gun is a tool. The J frame is a fighting gun. A tool designed to get someone or someone's up off of you. A tool to allow you to put some distance between you and up close harm. The J frame is made to make contact shots. The J frame is made to hide easily. The J frame is made to work every time.

Page generated in 0.02835 seconds with 8 queries