View Single Post
Old October 26, 2011, 07:15 PM   #16
Lost Sheep

Carbide, indexing/lube, throughput.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigcurious
If I get the appropriate carbide dies, do I need case lube for any other steps or things?
Not for 9mm.

If you use Tungsten Carbide dies or Titanium Nitride and are loading straight-walled cases or, like the 9mm, a slightly tapered case, (mostly pistol cases) you can get by without case lube. If using tool steel dies, you will need lube.

If loading very large cases, even straight-walled cases (500 S&W and such) benefit from a little lube.

Bottlenecked rifle cases' dies are generally made of tool steel. Difficult to form one of T-C, I think. So you will need lube. The case neck expander button, though, can be made of T-C, so lubricating the inside of the case neck can be avoided in that case. Rifle cases are generally larger, too, so have more surface area and friction drag. Lube will make sizing easier on your arm and keep from ripping the rim off the case.

Quote:
And what exactly is auto-indexing and what are its pros and cons?
Auto-indexing is largely a matter of convenience and does speed things up a bit.

With turret presses, it means the dies (mounted in a carriage, or turret head) rotate automatically, lining up with the cartridge being reloaded in sequence.

With progressive presses, the dies stay still, but the cases in their carriage (correct term is "shell plate") rotate automatically to line up under the dies, in sequence. New, empty cases are inserted as finished loaded cartridges are kicked out.

Lee's Classic Turret and Deluxe Turret presses are the only turret presses that feature auto-indexing. The feature can be turned off quite easily, by pulling the indexing rod out. By the way, the Classic Turret is the superior press for a number of reasons.

You will undoubtedly become acquainted with the many, many videos of people demonstrating loading techniques on youtube and various web sites. Enjoy.
Quote:
Once I get everything figured out I'd like to be able to process ~2000 rounds a month in a reasonable amount of time(3-4 hours per week) From what I've gleaned so far this should be doable after some practice.
Doing the math, 500 per week in 3 to 4 hours is within the reach of an auto-indexing turret press. With a really good progressive (Dillon, Hornady, etc) you can cut that down to 1-2 hours per week, but at a cost of a lot higher price. Plenty enough money to buy a 22 rimfire conversion for your 9mm frame, or a whole other gun. Just brainstorming, here.

Good luck, good questions.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; October 26, 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.02759 seconds with 8 queries