View Single Post
Old January 24, 2011, 02:06 PM   #1
arcticap

Colt Left Hand Barrel Twist?

I can't remember if I asked this before but here goes. I heard that Colt guns are rather unique in that they have a left hand barrel twist instead of a right hand barrel twist like most other gun makers use.
I think that practice continues by Colt to this day.
Do any of the reproduction Colt guns follow that same pattern?
Do any of them make the Remington reproduction guns with a right hand twist verses a left hand twist for their Colts?
What about the 2nd and 3rd Generation Colts, do they have a left hand twist?
I wonder about the answer to the same question as it applies to Colt reproduction guns made by Armi San Marco, Uberti, Pietta, Euroarms (Armi San Paulo), Centaur?
Are they all made with a left hand twist across the board to remain true to the direction Colt rifled their barrels or not?
I really can't imagine that a manufacturer would rifle their Colt guns with a left hand twist and then rifle their Remingtons with a right hand twist.
So I don't really expect to hear that the Colts were rifled left hand. But if the 2nd & 3rd Generation Colts were supposed to be authentic then why not? I wonder if Colt enforced that degree of authenticity or not. If they did then was it continued into recent times and by which other makers if any, and for which models?
My last question is about whether the 1st Generation Colts had a progressive barrel twist? I thought that I recall reading that they originally did.
So that leads me to wonder if the progressive rifling of the Pietta Shooters Model is authentic and/or left handed?

Last edited by arcticap; January 24, 2011 at 02:46 PM.

Page generated in 0.03357 seconds with 8 queries