View Single Post
Old January 10, 2007, 01:09 AM   #3
arkie2

Yes you can use the same reloading equipment and yes you will need dies for the .30-06 and .45 but the dies for the .357 can be used to load .38 also with adjustment. You only need to buy .357 diameter bullets for both .357 and .38 but you'll need different cases. You'll need different powders for your pistol and rifle but the pistol powder can be used in all three calibers if you choose one that has load data for all three. For instance, I use Hodgdons titegroup for practice loads for my .45 and .357/.38 but I have some Hodgdons 110 that I use for .357 loads but there's no data for that powder and .45's. You'll need large pistol primers (.45) and small pistol primers (.357/.38) for your pistol loads. There are small pistol magnum primers but you really won't need those. For your rifle you'll need large rifle primers for your .30-06. plus powder specifically formulated for rifles. I would also suggest getting some equipment to measure your powder. With pistols the Lee dippers might be OK but if you're going to reload .30-06 you need a scale, especially if you're going to be working up loads.

Having said all that the most important thing to buy (before you buy anything else) is a couple of reloading manuals. If you're going to buy Lee equipment you might as well buy Lee's Modern Reloading. Lots of good info and good load data. You can buy it off the Lee site along with all your equipment. The ABC's of Reloading is the other book you should have. You can get it off Amazon.com. The Lee website also has some good videos to choose from. Here's a link.

http://www.leeprecision.com/

Finally, welcome. I just started loading (well, except for a Lee loader kit for a .30-30 many years ago) and I believe you're going to enjoy it. Good luck and be safe.

Page generated in 0.03612 seconds with 8 queries