View Single Post
Old September 24, 2006, 01:44 AM   #7
Smokey Joe

Pigs!

Wade--180's are a good choice IMHO. That's about as heavy a bullet as the .300WSM will handle well (There has been a lot of discussion about the short magnums' inability to handle heavy-for-caliber bullets; in the case of the .300 WSM this includes 200 and 220 grainers.)

For pigs you want maximum penetration, and the heavy bullet will get that for you. Personally I've not had good luck with Hornady bullets generally, but mebbe that's just me.

I would choose a bullet built for penetration, for the shoulder shots on those big boars, through the cartilage plate. Have considered Nosler Accubonds, but am beginning to experiment with Barnes 180 grain TSX's, which are about as penetrate-y as they get.

That's a lot more bullet than one would need for a pig most of the time. Especially out of a speedy WSM. But if The Great Boar Of All Boars should show himself I'd want to be ready to get a shot through the armor and into his boiler room.

The Hornady handbook will give you that much more load data, and you can compare the reccommendations between the 2 books. Probably you'll acquire more and more load data books as you continue with reloading. This is a Good Thing.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; September 24, 2006 at 01:49 AM. Reason: The usual--Had another thought.

Page generated in 0.02514 seconds with 8 queries