View Single Post
Old October 19, 2001, 07:59 PM   #2
karlfitt

IPSC Stands for International Practical Shooting Conference I belive. I may have a word off but that is the jist of it.
They set up the rules for Practical handgun shooting of which in america USPSA (United States Practical shooting Association) shoots under.
Some people feel they have gotten to equipment oriented, thus IDPA (International Definsive Pistol Association) was born.
Both are similar but different. I have shot IPSC but not IDPA.
In both you are faced with a tactical situation, bad guys, hostiges, Cover etc. and you need to solve the situation. From what I have heard the scoring is very different. IPSC rewards speed with marginal hits, IDPA rewards accuracy over speed. (If I have this wrong someone who knows better can correct me).
I like IPSC and I am sure I would like IDPA if I ever shot it.
One thing I like about IPSC is there are usually more rounds shot. If I'm going to shoot, I want to shoot. But again, that is me.
Both require a gun, holster, extra magazines, and mag holders. I of course omitted the safty equipment.
As an ancidote, the first place I called and asked about shooting IPSC here is the advice I got.

Me: I would like to come buy and watch a match and see how this works.
Wally Arrida ( Who at the time ran Norco Running Gun, Now he tries to publish Gun Games Magazine): Oh! Just bring your gun. What kind of gun do you have?
Me:I have a 1911 in .45, But I have never shot IPSC before. I just want to watch a match first.
Wally: Come on and shoot, how many Magazines do you have?
Me: Four, but..
Wally: That's enough. Bring 'em out and shoot.
Me:I was just thinking of watching for the first time.
Wally: How many rounds of ammo do you have?
Me: 500.
Wally: That's more than enough. Bring hem with you and shoot. Do you have a holster?
Me: Yes
Wally: I t sounds like you have all you need. Come on out and shoot with us.

I am not sure why, but this conversation hasd stuck with me. I still have my score from that first time. A 12 year old kid who left early to go to a socer game beat me!

If this type of shooting does not appeal to you there is also Bullseye, or silouette too.

Karl

Page generated in 0.05299 seconds with 8 queries