View Single Post
Old August 2, 2014, 11:45 PM   #23
barnbwt

Quote:
They had some 45 ACP with about 80 gr bullet @ 1800 fps. I was told they penetrate about 6" and expand violently.
Wow, and people say 5.7x28 is a gimmick. Bullet half that mass at the same speed, which penetrates about twice as much while tumbling/fragmenting along multiple paths, and after penetrating a thin rigid barrier, no less (not true 'armor' with the hollow points, of course, but they are still going fast enough to punch through stuff that would mushroom & deflect slower rounds)

Quote:
I don't know why I'd want to neck it down further to .308"
For the velocities attainable from pistols or small PDWs, going lower than 308 rapidly improves armor/barrier penetration characteristics. Not a usual criteria we care about, but it is a legitimate reason to model something after 7.62x25 vs 9mm +P, for example (with similarly engineered loads/bullets, the smaller one can punch through better every time)

TCB

Page generated in 0.03591 seconds with 8 queries