View Single Post
Old February 4, 2001, 08:41 AM   #3
Hot Core

Head Exp vs Pressure Ring Exp

Hey MFH, I agree with Carlyle that getting 0.005" Expansion across the Case Head is about all you want. If it is a new case, and that is the first Load through that case, it can be mis-leading though.

Also, I've not had good luck comparing "before firing and after firing" dimensions out on the Pressure Ring. But, I do use the "after firing" dimensions. I like to establish a Standard using a factory round. Just use the measurement across it's Pressure Ring as something to "compare" your relaods with. "Stop" when your Pressure Ring Expansion is the same as the factory load when reloading those "same" cases.

Depending on the intensity of the actual reloads you put in a case, and the actual temper of the case, how many times you can get "useable data" from those cases varies. For example, using Case Head measuring, I typically get good info on loads 2-6 or so. On the Pressure Ring I get good info on loads 1-9 or so. Always best to be a bit conservative here though. Repeated firings "work harden" the case and will eventually skew the results

I do have a File on Case Expansion I can email to you if you would like it. You will need to have Microsoft "Word" in order to open it and Microsoft "Excel" to open the Load Data Sheet. Just recently updated them with some input from about 5 people. So if you, or anyone else would like a copy, just let me know.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Page generated in 0.02731 seconds with 8 queries