Thread: FNP vs. Glock
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2009, 12:27 AM   #1
Micahweeks

FNP vs. Glock

First of all this is not a thread to debate which of these fine handguns is better. Both have their place, and it is pointless to try and say that either is better than the other in every way. So, let's just stop that silliness right now. What this thread IS about is my experience with the FNP 40 and the Glock 22 side by side at the range. I will detail my experience and pose a couple of questions that I would like to hear everyone weigh in on.

First, I have a lot of experience with the Glock 22. It is a terrific firearm. I am really thinking hard about buying the new RTF. I started shooting the G22 well before the FNP 40 was on the market. So, don't think that my statements below are due to a lack of experience.

1. Despite having put thousands upon thousands of rounds through various G22s, I was able to shoot more accurately with the FNP 40. At 25 yards I almost consistently shot 1 inch smaller groups with the FNP. I am not sure if this is due to the different barrel rifling or the browning action or what. I just know that I consistently, on every shot, hit closer to my mark with the FNP. Maybe it's the different grip angle, although the Glock angle is more than comfortable to me.

2. The FNP was just as reliable as any Glock I have fired. In my range trip, I put between 1300 and 1500 rounds through the FNP with absolutely no hiccups. The ammo fired was a variety of horrible quality range reloads, WWB, and a few boxes of Federal Hydrashock. So, I am convinced that the reliability is on par with Glock.

3. The FNP feels lighter to me. This could be because it holds one less round than the Glock. I'm not sure. I did not go look up the unloaded weights of the pistols before writing this. It could be that the pistol actually weighs more than the Glock and just feels lighter because of the way the weight is dispersed. But, regardless, it feels lighter and would more likely get more carry time with me.

4. The FNP was easier to disassemble. It took down like a SIG. Just unload, rack, flip the lever, and rack forward. Voila. The Glock take down is just as simple in theory, but the little take down notches are sometimes hard for me to pull down after shooting a while. I have carpal tunnel. Cleaning is just as easy as the Glock.

So, those are my observations. DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A THREAD ABOUT WHICH IS BETTER! That is not the point. Here are the questions that came to my mind after this experience.

1. If the pistol is just as reliable as Glock and just as if not more accurate, then why are pistol accessory manufacturers not coming out with more accessories for it?

The answer for this, I'll bet, is probably that the pistol just is not popular enough to warrant making a bunch of accessories. So, here's my next question.

2. Why has this pistol not gained more popularity? They are giving away free holsters with each purchase! Each one comes with THREE mags and a mag carrier, and they are on par with and cheaper sometimes than Glocks. These pistols strike me as being a poor man's SIG (somewhat).

Ok, now that everyone knows what I am wondering, let the flames from the Glock lovers begin and the real opinions of the intelligent people commence.

Page generated in 0.03815 seconds with 8 queries