View Single Post
Old July 30, 2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Scorch

My favorite is a crossdraw holster for typical in-the-field carry because it is easier to reach the pistol while in a car or on a horse. I use shoulder holsters for one of two reasons:
* Long barrels- It is easier to carry a long-barreled revolver or pistol in a shoulder holster than a belt holster, and easier to draw it and get it into service. My 6" Python or Contender get a shoulder holster to ride in when I use them.

* Concealed carry- It is easier to conceal a medium or large auto pistol under a jacket when it is in a shoulder rig as it rides in a baggy area of the jacket. A waistband holster (crossdraw or strong side) tends to make a significant bulge and keep clothing from hanging naturally, and it is difficult to sit down in a chair with one on without it bumping the furniture or people seeing the outline of the firearm. Some shoulder rigs have mag holders opposite the gun, which can make it balance quite nicely.

In addition, shoulder rigs are useful for when you are in a tight area (like a car) or are wearing bulky clothing that would make it difficult to reach the gun without acrobatics. The US military used to issue (may still issue) shoulder rigs that put the gun just below your left chest, and those worked pretty nicely.

Page generated in 0.02340 seconds with 8 queries