View Single Post
Old June 14, 2007, 07:53 AM   #23
9mm1033

My 2 cents: I've hunted those pain-in-the-ass varmints for years, using the 17 HMR for short range and no wind and a .243 for longer range. What I've found is early morning and near dark is the best time. You've scouted the area for holes, so you know where they "should" be. Don't think you can walk up near the hole and not be busted. If you have too, take baby steps very slowly. It's best to stalk/walk behind them and not in the front or to the sides. I've waited as long as two hours for a shot after scaring one back into his hole. I've also crawled in high alfalfa and waited for the perfect shot on one hiding in a lumber pile. I've shot two in trees, they were about 10 feet off the ground. I also got surprised from behind one time. I was sitting on the corner field @25 yards from a known active hole. A groundhog walked right behind me and stopped, about 15 feet away. I was froze. As I turned my head very-very slowly, he eventually walked around me in a wide arch and tried to enter his hole from the side. BANG! They are not stupid creatures. But when they screw up...we win.

Page generated in 0.03544 seconds with 8 queries