View Single Post
Old August 8, 2014, 04:46 PM   #25
armed

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22lr
I'm pretty sure not a single one of those cues (presented in the video) would qualify in court as a reasonable fear of death or grave bodily injury. Walking towards someone while being told to stop doesn't seem to qualify either. It seems that further retreat is the best option.
Really? Tell that to to a petite female, or madmo44mag. Also, you misread the threat scenario. It stated “There is no option for avoidance…” meaning, he couldn’t retreat. And you downplayed the event. The threat was not just “walking towards someone while being told to stop…” The potential victim yelled “STOP STAY BACK” and withdrew 10 feet from the threat, at which point the threat continued to advance, moving another 5 feet closer (as in closing with the enemy for a climax of attack).

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22lr
And, as always, I will continue to hold Mr Ettin's words in high regard.
While I commend you on the respectful reverence, you should always consider contrasting parallels; Respectful Irreverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirod
The scenario as described doesn't tell us enough, which is the point. If it did, then we'd likely all be in agreement.
I believe the scenario gives the gist...If not, then identify the gaps and I’d be happy to fill them in.

I believe we are in agreement, it’s just that we tend to muddy the waters that surround self-defense, an area already filled with fantasy and fiction. It’s folks who haven't walked in madmo44mag’s shoes that indoctrinate and confuse conceal carriers, especially the novice, with minutia. It’s about raising legal issues, that are connected but obsolete to the main one, for the sake of unnecessary caution. So it’s not disagreement…it’s about all the extraneous bull, that arouses fear and alarm, that then become matters of dispute.

That said, I’d like to get back on topic.

This is about a tactical maneuver, a “Burst Presentation”. It’s a managed maneuver that directs you to erupt suddenly, to acquire a proper firing grip, in preparation for the draw. That’s it.

It is designed to show someone who is unarmed, but who you believe intends to inflict grave bodily harm or death, that you possess superior firepower, and that you will use it if they don’t comply with your demands.

There are some that have cautioned, erroneously I believe, that I’m instructing my clients on Brandishing and/or a Defensive Display of a firearm. My argument - it’s neither.

If you have arguments for or against this methodology, or if you think I should add or delete context, or if better criteria should be laid down for distinguishing this maneuver, or for whatever reasons…let's discuss them.

Your thoughts.

Last edited by armed; August 8, 2014 at 05:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.05310 seconds with 8 queries