View Single Post
Old October 29, 2008, 09:40 PM   #7
Tim R

I have not tried Butches Bore Shine, come close a couple of times though. I use Shooters Choice and let it sit for a least an hour before running a clean patch through and then go in with another wet one. When I get in a hurry I use JB bore paste. Having several top end barrels on my service rifles I will not use anything which I feel will hurt the barrel. I stopped using bore brushes some years back, although the brushes I have are the better bass core brushes. I use a bore guide on everything.

To apply the solvent, I use a squeeze bottle with a needle, found at Brownells and cheap. I will not dip a brush, which I stopped using, in my bottle of solvent as it makes it dirty.

I've had some good results with the foaming bore cleaners such as Outters but after awhile it won't touch the copper any more either until a dose of JB's cuts the old copper surface away. I tip the rifle up so the now blue foam drips into the sink and have made a couple of applications before running a patch through. The foaming stuff can be in the barrel for awhile without problems.

I suggest maybe letting the solvent do more work.

Another thought is clean the old powder fouling out but not get over board on the copper until the groups open up.

Page generated in 0.03327 seconds with 8 queries