View Single Post
Old February 2, 2010, 09:02 PM   #47
Mr. James

RickE,

My experiences pretty much mirror those of CajunBass, and although we both hail from the Old Dominion, I'm from Fairfax County, reputedly one of the least gun-friendly parts of the Commonwealth.

I carry openly, usually a Commander-sized 1911, an XD45 Tactical or an H&K USP (depending on my mood, or activities) anywhere I happen to be going - grocery shopping, the local coffee shop, out for a sandwich. The owners of the local bagel shop were astounded when I walked in - it had never occurred to these gents (immigrants from Afghanistan, as it happens) that Virginians have the right to go about openly armed. Now it's a standing joke.

I do have a CHL, and will carry concealed when circumstances warrant. I also carry concealed on evenings like this one, when the snow flies thick and wet.

Response from the folks I encounter (that vanishingly small percentage who actually notice the thing) ranges from mild surprise to a yawn. Response from law enforcement is . . . nothing at all, and I bump into them all the time.

I know it ain't for everyone, but it is a right I choose to exercise, rather than have it atrophy out of existence, as it effectively did in Fairfax County for many years. Use 'em or lose 'em, as they say.

God be with!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat

Page generated in 0.02327 seconds with 8 queries