View Single Post
Old March 31, 2009, 09:35 AM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'll make it a step easier for all you PC types. Use dyndns or opendns for your dns servers and they'll block most of the nasty sites automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyme
It doesn't matter what OS you're running.

Get Firefox. Get adblockplus. Get noscript. Make sure it's blocking flash/pdf/java (it should by default). Whitelist specific known-good sites if you want, but do so at your peril particularly if they host 3rd party ads.
See, that's my point. Most people actually want flash/java/pdf to work without hassling them about working. Sure, to "techies" it doesn't matter. My computer is relatively safe regardless. I'm talking about people like my step-mother. I had to literally teach her how to turn on the computer. She can not handle pop up warning windows or blocked active-x controls. If it doesn't work when she clicks, she's done.

The internet is full of stories about how the Mac OS is not really safe and how it has XYZ more vulnerabilities than windows and blah blah Glock 40s Kb every other round blah blah.... and yet none of it actually comes true. All the vulnerable little Macs just keep on working, no attacks, no viruses, no spyware, no this script or that. Does anyone really believe that the cyber-BGs would just ignore the Mac because it "only" represents 3-4% of the market? Considering the legendary (false) expense level of the Mac, I should think that identity thieves would just itching to get into all those vulnerable Macs and all their rich owners. After all, 3% of the market is still MILLIONS of machines. I mean, wouldn't you go after the easy prey, even if it was only 3%? That's what real BGs do. They find the easy mark. Logic and common sense dictates that the Mac is NOT an easy mark or it would be targeted. The essential core of the Mac OS has been around since the 60s. OPEN SOURCE no less. Any unix savvy BG should be able to crack the Mac OS like an egg.... but they don't and can't.

Page generated in 0.03615 seconds with 8 queries