Thread: Powder quandary
View Single Post
Old December 29, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Boz49

Powder quandary

Hey, y'all. I am a new member to your forum and wish I had joined a while ago from the looks of it. I began reloading because of monetary issues as most people do I would imagine. Started reloading my 7.62X54R because Winchester loads are about $1.50 per shot and then started loading for my Ruger P95DC. Since beginning loading 9's I have tried two powders with varying luck. I began with BlueDot and had pretty good results except for a messy weapon afterward several mags. At a gun show recently I was told that Accurate #5 was the way to go and bought a pound. I use Berry's 115gr clad projectiles and tried a low charge of 5.3 gr and it wouldn't even push the slide back on my Ruger. Finally after jumping up to the max of 8.4 I finally got movement but had a lot of unburnt powder. I notice that BlueDot is further down on the burn rate list than #5. Is the burn rate too fast for my pistol? CCI primers, used and resized brass, new projectiles, of course, and I'm flustered. I would appreciate any help out there. Thanks a million.
US Army (Retiring)

Page generated in 0.03700 seconds with 8 queries