Thread: liner
View Single Post
Old May 2, 2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Gunplummer

Here is the real scoop on liners. Most barrel makers use 4140 on liners above .22 caliber, so what you have is a thin barrel. If the barrel is tapered, you have to turn steps on the liner to accommodate the taper and drill the steps into the barrel. About the same as turning down a barrel, but a lot faster. I have done a lot of things the "Book" says never to do because I found a way around it. I would not hesitate to put a double threaded sleeve on a barrel and install it, but the idea of soldering a sheet metal-thin thread to a liner and cranking it on a rifle generating 50,000+ pressure is just plain dangerous. Check the barrel diameter at the thread and right in front of the chamber, and then look at the diameter of the cartridge. I would not do it and I don't know anybody that would. The only safe way would be to install a blank that was turned or ground back to the rear sight to fit a section of the original barrel drilled out as thin as possible. Hide the splice under the rear sight assy., and live with the chamber area not being original

Page generated in 0.04055 seconds with 8 queries