View Single Post
Old June 8, 2009, 01:46 PM   #4
ammoeater

Everything I can find indicates it is allowed. I found this interesting too:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post801741
From the above link...
CW is BEYOND cool with you open carrying.
I was recently visiting Colonial Williamsburg with the Girlfriend as I’m a bit of a history geek, and haven’t ever been to CW. I searched all over their website for any indication of allowing or forbidding the carry of firearms, but could find nothing. We arrived, and not wanting to get kicked out of a place I really really wanted to go, I approached the blacksmith shop (or was it shoppe) and asked the blacksmith who was working away upon something. I asked him for a moment and quietly asked if CW allowed the carry of firearms as I didn’t want to break any rules. His response was SOOOO cool. I’ll try to quote him as accurately as possible.

With about TWICE the volume I had used to ask him the question, he responded...

“That good sir is the question we are now faced with. His Majesty’s soldiers even now have decreed that the possessions of any firearms are not only forbade and forbidden, but that it is a crime upon king and country to posses the simple means to protect oneself. The town elders, along with good stalwart men of the Continental Congress have urged all colonial citizens to protest the actions of England’s king and to keep their arms ready and prepared to defend this, which they feel is the most sacred of liberties. Stay your weapons upon your person and walk the streets here proudly.“

Needless to say, I was smiling ear to ear and openly carried, and didn’t really get any undue attention, well. . .except for the SECONDEST coolest thing that happened.

After being there for about an hour, we were walking down the street when we saw performers who were dressed to the nines in Period British military uniforms and walking in formation. One of the conscripts saw I was armed and announced “Sir, that colonial is armed, do we detain?” The officer (I think he was a Major, but my English military knowledge is sadly lacking) stopped his squad and took a deep breath. Again, I will try to quote as accurately as I can.

The (Major?) slowly walked over to me, addressing his halted troops the whole time.

“No Mister Norley. Although his Majesty has decreed that ANY position of musket or pistol is a crime against the throne, these rabble can pose no serious threat against the might and resolve of King and Crown. We shall permit this one to have his personal armaments . . .”

And at this he leaned in very closely so only I could hear.

“. . .for now!”

He walked back to take his place at the head of the formation and marched them onward.

It was the coolest day I could remember in a long time. Open carry your gun, you’ll love it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
Samuel Adams
Philadelphia Statehouse
1 August 1776

Page generated in 0.02798 seconds with 8 queries