View Single Post
Old March 3, 2013, 09:31 PM   #16
Walt Sherrill

I've had both the Glock and the Ruger, but not the SD9 -- so can;t address that gun.

Of the two, the Glock 19 or the Ruger P95, I'd probaby go with the Glock, but it's not as easy a choice as you might think. Everyone talks about the RUGER being a brick, but if you check measurements you'll see that there's not that much difference between the Glock and Ruger. They just look different, and the Ruger LOOKs clunky. The newer SR9 is a big improvement in that regard. More about the SR9, shortly.

The P95 I had was a tack driver. A local gunsmith worked on the trigger for me, and did improve it -- but said there's not much you can do to make it a lot better. You can make a Glock trigger better pretty inexpensively, but it's still a Glock trigger. (That's not a condemnation, as I have two Glocks right now, and like them both, and have had a number of others over the years.) I traded the P95 away, lured by the siren call of SIGs. (I've since decided that SIGs are OK, but I'm not crazy about them. That said, I've got three, right now.)

I think you should try renting both (or all three) and try them out. It's sometimes costly to rent a gun (if a friend doesn't have one you can try), but it's a lot cheaper than buying a gun you later despise.

I'd also give some thought to the Ruger SR9 or SR9c -- I have an SR9 with a Ghost trigger kit installed, and it's really impressive. I think it does everything the Glock does, at least as well, and is smaller. The SR9c may be my next purchase or swap. Why go the P95 route when a newer, arguably better technology is available from the same company, and the price won't be that different!!

The only thing Glock does that the Ruger hasn't done, is build a gun with a lot fewer parts... (I think there are almost as many parts in the SR9/SR9c Ruger's fire control assembly as in the entire Glock pistol.) Detail stripping a Glock is, of course a LOT easier -- and there are a lot of handbooks and manuals that make it even easier.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; March 3, 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Page generated in 0.02347 seconds with 8 queries