View Single Post
Old February 6, 2024, 04:36 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Interesting result.
How well did the Hornady stuff pattern?

Quote:
The Brenneke slugs are a cut above the average domestic Foster, no doubt, but a .410 is still a .410. A .410 slug of any persuasion is a 110 gr or so , appx. .40 cal. in diameter.
Yea, and only if you've got the full 1/4 oz slug. 1/5 oz is more common from what I've seen.
85-90 gr projectile at 1,300-1,500 fps?
I can do that with .32 H&R and .327 Federal, with more precision. Or up the ante in other ways.

I love .410 bore. It is a fun, stupid little cartridge. And, having been introduced as a smokeless shot cartridge, you never have to worry about sticking a modern load in an old BP gun, because there aren't any. (Excepting some of the old ".44 Shot" chambers that later got reamed to .410, but they're usually quite easy to spot and were not factory conversions.)
When I don't have a .410, I want a .410. When I do have a .410, I have fun with it until I remember why I didn't have a .410.

It is always the same. Limited usefulness, limited range, and I can never find a gun that is *just right*. The closest I've gotten so far is one of the aforementioned .44 Shot guns - an H&R small frame, for which I have to custom load. But, it isn't a .410. Still looking...

Any way you slice it, I'll let a person use a .410 however they please. But, to me, slugs in a .410 is about like asking 300 people what to use for personal defense, looking at the 200+ responses of "9mm [insert HP variety]" and [various modern handguns], and then going out and buying a Bryco/Jennings .25 Auto and running FMJs.

Page generated in 0.02391 seconds with 8 queries