Thread: SW 500 Problem
View Single Post
Old March 31, 2013, 10:20 PM   #18
buck460XVR

Quote:
I would (as I am sure many others reading this thread will) like to be able to research that assertion. Please post your source.

The Detonation myth is one that's been around for years, generally used by those as an excuse other than double charge when their gun goes ka-boom. While it generally is used when it comes to small volume fast powders in large capacity cases, many have applied the warnings of "Do not reduce" of H110/W296 to this without proof. H110/W296 needs the pressure of a full or nearly full case to help it completely burn, one reason it needs a firm crimp for consistency. Without this complete burn combined with a below published charge to start with ends up with....yep, a stuck case. I have an old e-mail somewhere from Hodgdon confirming this, but since the reply was to a question I asked them a coupla years ago, I have not located it yet. Till I do, here is a good explanation of how damage to firearms from detonation is a myth. I particularly like the phrase...." We are firmly convinced that neither Bullseye or any other pistol powders magically misbehave in handguns"

Detonation myth

Page generated in 0.02934 seconds with 8 queries