View Single Post
Old June 28, 2011, 11:27 AM   #18
Lee Lapin

if I experience anything like it again I will slip out of the room while my fiancé grabs the 20 guage I'll leave under her side

Ummm... what's your MOS?

Generally it's a bad plan to move around in the house IMHO, unless there are kids in the house that need to be secured in the face of an obvious threat. I'd also worry about leaving someone behind me who was armed, scared and might be too scared to be as careful as she might be about target identification. In other words, friendly fire sux big time.

Wandering around looking for trouble generally means you'll find it. A better bet is to let the trouble come to you. Better to be the ambusher than the ambushee. The 'school solution' is to hunker down with the family behind cover in the dark with the entrance (ideally the only entrance) to your safe room backlit by household or emergency lighting. SO should be on the phone with the 9-1-1 dispatcher, you should be covering the door with the shotgun and waiting for the LEOs to arrive.

Then I plan to dispatch the intruder thanks to the new laws passed here im nc.

Ouch. Your attorney (if you ever need one in a self defense shooting) will probably wish you'd never said that. Better to remember that in self defense, the idea is to shoot to stop whatever the assailant's behavior was that gave clearly describable legal justification to shoot in the first place. Best do some homework on the laws of self defense in NC, they are weird, to put it kindly.

I also purchased two tri ball rubber rounds and a bean bag round though I've heard there can be legal issues with using less then leathal rounds.

Next trip to the range, shoot them up so you won't be tempted to load your shotgun with them at home. ANYTHING fired out of a shotgun, including a blank, can be lethal. A shotgun is by definition a lethal weapon and there is nothing an armed citizen (as opposed to a LEO) can load into one that can be considered other than lethal. As an armed citizen, if you are legally justified in shooting anything at all at another human out of a shotgun, you are legally justified in killing that person. If you are NOT legally justified in shooting at another human being, there is nothing whatsoever you can load into a shotgun that is legally OK to shoot at them.

hth,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.

Page generated in 0.02210 seconds with 8 queries