View Single Post
Old September 19, 2008, 05:14 PM   #25
Old Gaffer

SCH wrote
Quote:
Sorry if I sound nuts but I am new to this.

What sort of results should i expect with the following.

A Sig P229 with a .22 barrel conversion...( like P226 conversion ).

Sig P229 with Ultradot match scope.

Buck mark with & 7 inch barrel with scope
or

High Standard or S & W M41 with 7 inch barrel and scope.

I thought that using the P229 with the conversion would help my gun handling but using same gun for USPSA....and save a few dollars.

Am I in for disappointment..???

What suggestions
SCH, I'm not familiar with the P229, so I'll forebear to comment on that one, EXCEPT to say that you can use a trigger with a two pound pull weight in .22 competition and unless your Sig trigger is VERY good, you'll probably just develop bad habits that you'll later have to break.

The BuckMark really is a decent introductory-level pistol for target shooting, and a helluva plinker to be sure. My Buck Mark Hunter has the 7.25" barrel, and I shot Bullseye with it with iron sights for about a year before I upgraded. There's an active community on BuckMark fans on rimfirecentral with a gazillion things a reasonably handy person can do him-or-herself (at v-e-r-y low cost) to make the gun better. IF you're going to put on a red dot, get a 5" barrel - that's plenty accurate, and the only real reason for having a longer barrel is to increase the distance between the front and rear sight. You're not using the sights so it'll just make the gun front heavy.

Both the S&W 41 and the High Standard (especially the Victor version) are conpetition grade pistols. In fact, the High Standard is the ONLY American made pistol to win in an Olympics competition.

Again, if you're going with a red dot, skip the heavier barrel, you don't need it.

All the best,
Rob

Page generated in 0.03394 seconds with 8 queries