View Single Post
Old May 3, 2011, 04:20 PM   #9
thallub

Quote:
I know boars can stink before you shoot them, but I have yet to shoot one that does.
+1
That!!!!

i kill a lot of hogs: Over 60 so far this year. Every one of those hogs get eaten by someone. A big boar hog will sometimes stink; that is because they urinate on themselves; must make them more attractive to the sows or something. The smell is all on the outside of the hog. Some folks get sloppy when they field dress and skin hogs and that can effect the meat.

A hog spoils very fast. A hog can spoil if left in a cooler for over 10-14 days. When the outside temperature is over 80 F you have a maximum of four hours to get the animal in a cooler or on ice before it starts to rot. Strong smelling hog meat is rotten hog meat or meat that got contaminated while field dressing or skinning.

We skin our hogs before they are field dressed, if possible. They are always washed down really good before skinning. A really cruddy hog gets taken to the car wash and scrubbed with a big long handled stiff bristled brush.

Killed this big boar hog last fall. Two friends took it home and processed the animal: All edible parts of that hog were kept. Ate some of the ribs from
that hog and they were great. The back straps on this hog were monstrous.

Last edited by thallub; May 3, 2011 at 04:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.03717 seconds with 8 queries