View Single Post
Old February 26, 2011, 08:08 PM   #11
mes228

shipping

Theres not much clarity and repeatability in how arms are shipped. Anything you hear is probably true in that instance. ATF will allow you to ship to yourself. I believe all shippers are regulated by the Postal System (I may be wrong - don't really remember). If you check with the Postal System you will find a totally different set of regulations that contradict ATF. I went all the way to Washington and the absolute highest level that exist for interpretation of the "self shipping regulations".

I'm sure it's done all the time. However, I'm sure that if the Postal System catches you shipping a firearm across a state line without a receiving FFL on the other end. You will go to jail for gun running or other felony charge. By the way, I know of people that have shipped guns to themselves. To their hunting guides for a hunt, and got by with it. I assure you though, that if caught the ATF regulations is not the law - nor protection from prosecution. The Postal Regulations are the Law. Flip it around and view it another way. Think "terroist" instead of hunter. No, a terroist cannot ship firearms to himself legally. If he's in CA and wishes to travel to FLA. he will go straight to jail if caught. Check with the Postal service and see. I spent many, many hours trying to do this exact thing on our Alaska trip. Even posted extensively here I believe, a few years ago. There was simply no way to legally do it. Bottom line is the ATF does not trump the Postal Regulations.

Page generated in 0.03045 seconds with 8 queries