View Single Post
Old January 19, 2005, 08:23 PM   #9
Robert M Boren Sr

We have been looking at this same issue in our house. For one you can only do so much with a 30 cal bullet. I will have my next project be a 338 rum. Why, how about 5000 + flbs of energy at the muzzle, and 2500 at 600 yds. That's with the book. And us reloaders all know we can do better than the books. The key words here are hunting and long rane. So you have to look at energy that carries out to and past those ranges. 338 is a great caliber and there are some excellent bullet choices out there. The best energy that I have found with the 300 rum is 3400 at the muzzle. You want to see something awsome look at the 338-378 weatherby mag. 5500 ftlbs of energy. Run the ballistics, you'll see I'm right. One other thing what consitutes long range? If you have the right tools I wouldn't take anything over 600 yrds. I've set a 400 yrd limit with my 06 even though I've done a lot of practice at 1000 yrds and know my rifle like the back of my hand, But, I will not shoot a big game animal at 1000 yrds, to much can go wrong no matter what caliber. That's just my opinion. Good luck on your new project, I know you'll have great fun putting it together.

Page generated in 0.03305 seconds with 8 queries