View Single Post
Old July 4, 2013, 07:34 PM   #53
Lost Sheep

My setup

Three years ago I replaced almost all my loading equipment, informed by my 30 years loading. I got the perfect setup to fit my needs, without compromise and money no object (well, almost).

I updated the prices to 2013.

I assume you have manuals already, so I left those off the list.
$0 Eye protection. (In know you have them, but novices will be reading this list, so I include the reference.)
$110 Press, Lee Classic Turret (Chosen because Lee makes the only turret presses that auto-advances at the discretion of the operator and the Classic is superior to the Deluxe for several features.)
$45 Dies, carbide. Lee because it includes a shell holder, a plastic dipper for powder and the very convenient "powder through" design.
$10 Bolts to Mount your press on a plank of scrap 2x8 and secure it to a (padded) coffee table.
$0 Dropcloth to catch any spilled powder or lost primers (dead or live). Use an old sheet. Quieter than plastic, less static and drapes better.
$165 Subtotal - plus shipping At this point, you can reload, but are limited in flexibility and speed.
$15 Lee Scoops/Dippers. Cheaper than any powder dispenser/measure and repeatability/cosistency is excellent.
$4 Powder funnel. Lee's funnel fits right in the their "powder through" die.
$184 Subtotal - plus shipping At this point, you are minimally equipped to load well. Not too convenient, but not handicapped to the point of terminal frustration, either.
$25 Lee Safety Prime. You can use your fingers, but this is so much better. Fits on the Lee Press.
$25 Scale, any brand. Lee's, at $21 is cheapest. You can do without, with the full set of Lee Dippers, but better to weigh. For peace of mind if nothing else.
$234 Subtotal - plus shipping At this level of investment, you are decently equipped
$41 Lee Auto-Disk powder dispenser/measure. It mounts atop Lee's "Powder through" die. With this, you may not need the funnel or dippers. The Pro Auto-Disk is better and 18 dollars more.
Loading Bench. A folding workbench works fine for me. You can get a kit or build your own, too.
$275 Subtotal- plus shipping Now you are well-equipped as most reloaders, except for convenience accessories or tools you will use only occasionally.

Other stuff:
$20 Bullet puller I never used one for my first 20 years of loading.
$30 Calipers I had none for 30 years. Now that I do, I find uses.
$50 Tumbler Never had one. Got one now. My brass is prettier. Shoots the same.
$25 Powder Trickler - handy if you weigh each powder charge.
$400 Subtotal
$30 Difference to get a more user-friendly scale than the Lee

$50 misc accessories & tools, (e.g. chamfer tool)
$480 Subtotal
$55 each for Turret and Dies for any extra calibers, $85 each if you want a dedicated powder measure on each set of dies.

I still have my original RockChucker single stage press and extra dies and stuff, but since those are extra, I did not list them.

Silver00LT, It seems to me you jumped in with both feet, rather than a little bit at a time. But no more than a lot of people. You have a first-class setup. Much more than I would need for my needs. I expect you will grow into it just fine.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02690 seconds with 8 queries