View Single Post
Old January 23, 2012, 04:23 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

I have been using RL-22 going on 20yrs now with the 115gr Partition, and just recently the 110gr Accubond. I use the same load for both weights. Accuracy has been outstanding with both.

The following were shot by the grandson and myself last summer. He has never shot past 150yds much less with this rifle. I was letting him burn through some Partitions I got that were coated, and I decided that they could be tumbled clean. Well they couldn't and ended up being nicely rounded over on the tips.

Anyway, he used them for practice, and didn't do bad at all. His first group at 235yds,

After he had gotten done burning up the rounds we took the picture, and moved the target out to 250yds. We then cleaned them up, and reloaded them with the 110gr AB. This was also his first time helping Pawpaw actually load bullets. He loaded up 60 rounds with the Accubond for him and his mom to hunt with. I cleaned the barrel, and fired one shot for a fouler, then two for group,

I was checking the scope for zero before hunting season came up and with the wind blowing the way it was that day I didn't mess with it. I know two shots usually doesn't mean squat on the internet, but this particular rifle has been doing this for most of the past 20yrs. In fact if it doesn't shot this or less, it is not the rifle or loads fault.

The following data is from an older manual, and has proved safe in my rifle only. It should only be used fora comparison of recent data. Should you choose to load to the listed charge weight do so very slowly checking for known pressure signs.

I worked this load up for the 115gr Partition, years ago using the Hornady 4th Edition data for their 117gr bullets. It uses 56.5grs of RL-22, Winchester cases, Winchester Primers, and is seated to a OAL of 3.250" or there abouts. I actually set the seater up to that OAL using a 100gr Ballistic Tip. Then during some load development I forgot to switch it back and found there was no need to it shot better than the previous setting I had been using with the 115. From my Remington 24" barreled BDL this load with the 115gr gets 3150fps, and with the 110gr, and everything else being the same, I get just over 3200fps.

To be honest, I have found this powder to really start to do it's best work on the upper end of the load data. If you have worked up to 54grs with no issues then you might start to play with your seating depth a bit. Give the listed 3.250" (base to tip) lenght a try, it certainly worked for this particular rifle.

Page generated in 0.02312 seconds with 8 queries