View Single Post
Old March 2, 2007, 05:10 PM   #7
Shoney

taylorce1
I’ve hand-loaded for 46 years now. A few of the numerous rifles I’ve developed hunting loads for have had accuracy loads well over max. I found it interesting about your 270 and 4831 loads. My daughters 270 with 130 & 140 gr and IMR4831 was most accurate over max, consistent five shot 5/8” groups. Using 4320 & 4350 got equal accuracy but not near the velocity.

As far as hunting bullets go, my immediate and extended family did lots of testing on game. 30-50 years ago, it was possible to have 1 elk tag, up to 7 deer tags, and as many as 12 antelope tags per person in a given year. Since we processed our own meat, terminal results of bullets were easy to see.

Considering the ability to take game reliably without bullet failure, for factory ammo, Rem Core-Lokt was unparalleled. Reloaders only had Hornady, Nosler, Speer, and Sierra available at that time. For deer & antelope, Hornady was the best, Speers were very good, and Sierras were like throwing hand grenades. Sierras bullets today are much better. For elk, Nosler Partitions. The Nosler Partitions are used for hunting trophy mule deer, but not for general deer/antelope because they ruin more meat.

For accuracy, Sierra gave the most accurate loads, but because of the “grenade factor”, we discontinued using them on big game, but used them extensively for varmints. Hornady is our bullet of choice for hunting deer/antelope because of their game-getting ability and accuracy. For elk, Nosler Partitions have superior accuracy and superior game-getting ability.

For your munitions expert:barf: , I can only sound a chortle s[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] giggle guffaw.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Page generated in 0.03375 seconds with 8 queries