View Single Post
Old June 5, 2012, 02:54 PM   #3
David Hineline

Just a guess

Just a guess as I have not seen/shot that silencer. The DB level they told you I would have doubts about as it is as low or lower than most 16" rifles with silencers larger. Reflex over the barrel silencers are designed to keep the package short, not make it super quiet, the sound come out of the barrel and for sound reduction to be the best it needs to be in front of the barrel not behind the barrel where no sound is comming out. It keeps the package short and with some type of two point mount they are rock solid on the mounting.

An 8" barrel is going to be brutal on sound and flash and destructive to the initial blast baffle. When they advertised their .223 silencer as not being full auto rated, I wondered also as most silencers designed to handle the hard use from a ahort barrel as a side effect are hard enough to handle full auto fire. Also titanium is for weight savings not hard use with a lot of heat.

From my searching on the web, the silencers are a new product for 2012 so that means no end users really have them yet.

From Spikes website discussion board the 30 cal silencer in your first link has not even finished a production run yet.

My personal opinion is that taking a short barrel and mounting a silencer to the end of that and hiding it inside a long handguard does not justify the term integral.

Now my personal preference on a shorty, sometimes you have a shorty because you want to make awful amounts of noise and flash, and integral can not give you that option. A shorty with a detatchable silencer can give you both.
Titanium is not for hard use, it is for keeping the weight down on a long range bolt action rifle.
Shoot a silenced shorty sometime the .223 silencer produces a lot of gas blowback out the ejection port, through the charge handle into the face of the operator, if you are a left handed shooter it will choke you out.
I always run a larger size 30 cal silencer on my shorty as the increased volume keeps the sound reduction about the same, but it also lessens the blowback into my face, at the cost of weight and length.

If short/light is what you want, Spikes is a good company, buy one and give us a review.

Page generated in 0.03011 seconds with 8 queries