View Single Post
Old August 10, 2011, 11:44 PM   #80
chack

My surprise was that only 81% said they'd defend themselves. The poll was written so that multible answers could be selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chack
Anytime I'm in public and I see a group of individuals with unique identifiable characteristics congregating I classify them by whether or not I perceive them as likely to be a threat, neutral, or protector.
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you John, but it seems like your trying really hard not to agree with me. I do, however disagree with this:

Quote:
No, a group of teenage males conducting open air drug sales may be breaking the law, but that doesn't automatically make them a threat. It might make them a POTENTIAL threat--something worth keeping an eye on--but that's a very different thing than saying they are actually a threat.
I think anyone that thinks a group of young men selling drugs in the open isn't a threat has a radically different idea of security and personal safety than I do. The link between open air drug sales and violence is so obvious and well documented that I can't imagine why you even went there.

I just wanted to make the point with this thread that the BEST way to deal with a violent mob/riot is not to be there, and the best way not to be there is to identify factors that make such a thing more likely so you can avoid the area.

I don't feel comfortable with crowds in general, I'm a country boy and big cities and tall buildings make me nervous. A city boy might feel nervous in the woods and be worried about wild animals, I worry about two legged animals in the city because mobs and riots are historically much more likely to occur in urban areas.

By the same token, bear and cougar attacks are much more likely to occur in the wilderness, and some types of bears are much more likely to attack humans than others.

I just think that the key to personal safety is knowing what the potential threat is that you are likely to face and exhibiting behavior that takes your surroundings and the threats in your environment into account.

Page generated in 0.02163 seconds with 8 queries