View Single Post
Old January 5, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Wyosmith

As a "country boy" for all my life, I have lived with stock and pets now for 55 years.

I have had to kill MANY animals over the years, and some were dearly loved pets.
The mistake most folks make is to want to make a "small mess" more then to dispatch the animal instantly. It's a concession we make to ourselves, because we don't want to see gore when killing a beloved pet in mercy. As I said, IT'S A MISTAKE!
Use enough gun. Yes it can be more gory. So what? It's not being done for us! It's a mercy to the pet. So put your feelings aside completely and use something that you KNOW will kill with one shot.
I typically use a 357 mag on dogs and cats, and I use a 44 mag, a 454 Casull or a 30-06 with 180 or 220 grain bullets on large stock from 150 to 2000 pounds. On big bulls I have used a 375H&H in the past.

Can I kill cattle with a smaller caliber? Sure. I have done it. As small as a 22 LR.
But I have never seen any suffering with a larger caliber and I HAVE seen it with smaller ones. Perfectly placed, a 22 LR dropped cattle in their tracks. So does a hard 357 Magnum. There in NO disadvantage with using a but more then you need, but sometimes there is in using a bit less.

Page generated in 0.02524 seconds with 8 queries