View Single Post
Old July 2, 2009, 09:09 AM   #5
Doc Intrepid

Not really as alarming as you're perceiving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another User Name
"Of course if there is an investigation on someone then they can go to FFL's and get gun information. But it almost seems like they are going through any FFL data looking for suspicious activity. Of course it could be good police work but then law abiding citizens gun data is turned over to the Feds and you could be a suspect just because you bought 2 AR's or whatever."
From your linked article --

"All told, Mexican officials in 2008 asked federal agents to trace the origins of more than 7,500 firearms recovered at crime scenes in Mexico. Most of them were traced back to Texas, California and Arizona."

They're looking for the origins of specific firearms recovered at crime scenes in Mexico.

They're not randomly sorting through receipts from all gun dealers.

I find myself conflicted about reports such as these --

On the one hand I'm reasonably far to the right in terms of perspectives regarding federal intrusion on firearms purchases and ownership. The government is not to be trusted to look out for my second amendment rights.

On the other hand, when you have this nickel-rocket dumbassery going on where morons purchase firearms for narco's in Mexico, that sort of bozonity causes trouble for every law-abiding gun owner and concealed-carry weapons permit holder in the U.S.

It raises the level of federal scrutiny, increases government involvement in the gun trade, and potentially initiates all sorts of future restrictions on my ability to do what I want with my guns.

It's an age-old argument, where someone else's right to be a moron conflicts with my right to not be impacted by their dumbassery. In this particular case, no good can come from strawman purchases of weapons on behalf of narcotics traffickers - no matter who does it or why. While I'm the last guy who wants to see more BATF feds intruding into the gun trade, gun-runners who make strawman purchases for narcos need to be stopped. They're going to bring down the heat on everyone else, and they're upsetting the equilibrium that keeps the majority of stakeholders reasonably satisfied.

Just MHO...

YMMV.

Page generated in 0.03489 seconds with 8 queries