View Single Post
Old May 22, 2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Max McCord

Receiver Group From Destroyed USGI M14

I have an acquaintance who found (I don't know when) the largely intact receiver group from a destroyed military-issue M14. The rifle had obviously been sawn into at least three pieces. The barrel, stock, gas operating connections and everything else just in front of the receiver group were cut and the stock was cut through just behind the receiver. The overall condition seems quite good, and the mechanism operates smoothly manually. He has offered it to me. Obviously the action, without gas-operation capability is capable of neither full- nor semi-automatic operation. The selector seems to also be non-functional. I would like, assuming it is feasible, to use the receiver group as the basis for a "bolt-action" sporter. I have the impression that a complete restoration would not be an option. I would like to find replacement parts to built a semi-auto version, but it seems likely I couldn't do that either. Assuming that to be the case, is there any legal or practical reason why I could not build a magazine-fed, manually operated "bolt-action" sporter using the receiver group as the basis? Assuming it to be possible, what hurdles would need to be overcome? Also, is there any way to investigate the history of the original rifle?

Note: Second submission accidental.

Page generated in 0.02735 seconds with 8 queries