View Single Post
Old January 8, 2012, 02:42 AM   #20
TheKlawMan

Fit: Fit is important. For example, a long neck shooter may have to mount the butt so that a couple of inches is in the air instead of distributing recoil over a wider area of the shooter's shoulder.

Gun Weight: The heavier the gun the more it absorbs recoil. A trick oneounce taught me was to increase weight by filling empty hulls with shot and inserting them into the magazine tube and in the stock. Gettiong a 20 gauge to lessen recoil may be a mistake if the 2o is built on a lighter frame than the 12.

Butt Pad: A good butt pad can help suck up recoil. I followed Zippy3's suggestion when I got my 870 pump and installed a SuperCell pad for $22. UPSMike named some good products.

Ammo: Fire ligher loads. I went to reloading partially to be able to afford to shoot 1 and 7/8 ounce loads. The WalMart stuff is fine but it is all 1 1/8 ounce and that means more recoil if all have equal velocities such as 1200 FPS. If you go with a auto loader make sure it will cycle light loads.

Action: Auto loaders have much less felt recoil than fixed actions like pumps and over unders. If you go with a auto loader make sure it will cycle light loads.

Clothing: Some shooting apparel dampens recoil. Vests with pads and there are bras for better sex that accept recoil dampening pads.

So get a good fitting, heavy gas auto loader, that will cycle light loads and has a good butt pad. Plan on firing extra light target loads and don't forget a sharp looking vest for your lady.

I feel sorry for the wife of a buddy. Meaning well he bought her a very nice 20 gauge pump. He eve got the ladies model that was smaller and that only made felt recoil greater. For what he spent he could have gotten a very nice autoloader. The recoil is just too much for her. He shoots a Cordoba and I believe is thinking about going to an O/U. If he does I am going to suggest that he gives his wive the Cordoba and trades her barel used 20 gauge pump in.

Page generated in 0.03149 seconds with 8 queries