View Single Post
Old March 17, 2014, 10:52 AM   #17
Longshot4

I have been hunting Michigan deer since 65. I started with the ol 1894 30-30 got a few deer with it. I could shoot pie plates at 100 yds. I moved up to the 300 Wby. Mag to have one for all of North America and my Brown Bear hunt In Aka. After all that time rubbing my shoulder after the range I traded it for a 308 Vanguard Mt. rifle. That was a fine one. But the boy has it now. I have been carrying a Browning BLE in 358 Win. I have no regrets. There are lots of fine used guns out there. You just need to know what you want. I would look for something like 308 Win., in a bolt action. $500 bucks should get you what you need. That NEW Ruger American sounds like a good rifle for the bucks. A good used Rem 700 or Win Mod. 70 are even better. Don't pass up a 300 Savage either. I believe a used rifle goes for about half of what a new one dose. Look over a used rifle well. You will want a well kept one. Not one that has any type of rust or loose stock. A clean chamber and bore are a must. Make sure the ejector spring is well oiled. Look them over well. Stay away from the Magnums because you don't need them in Mich. not even for Bear or Elk. A 308 and a well placed shot is all you need. The velocity and Energy of a 308 will serve you well.

Page generated in 0.04208 seconds with 8 queries