View Single Post
Old October 22, 2013, 01:30 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Add - I talked to an FFL for transfer and they told me after they get the firearm they open the box without my presence and note the serial number. Then they call me 24-48 hours after receiving the firearm.
My question is is it the same policy with all FFLS' that they open the box without customer being present?
They have to log them in. They should do it with all the guns they get whether they're transfers or not. You can request that they not open the box until you're there and see what they say. I imagine you can shop around and find an FFL that will agree to such a request.
Quote:
You know I am thinking they might test fire the firearm just for fun or even put in exact bad one in there and take the new one for themselves. Is this a possibility?
Sure, it's a possibility. I certainly don't think it's a LIKELY possibility, but it could happen.

My recommendation is that you should find an FFL that you trust and have done business with before you start buying online. Even when buying online, local FFLs are a critically important link in the chain.
Quote:
I don't like paying the extra 3%. That usually means between 20-30 dollars. On top of shipping (30.00), transfer (30.00) and NICS fee (5.00). That's almost $100 extra. On a $700, that means I'm paying about 15% in junk costs.
$30 shipping plus a $30 transfer fee and a $5 NICS fee plus 3% on a $700 base purchase is $86 bucks. That's 12.3% in fees.

If you buy locally, you'll have to pay sales tax. On a $700 base purchase, sales tax, + NICS + 3% amounts to $83.75 in my neck of the woods. That's 12%

One might be able to argue that the 3% fee is a "junk" fee although it does provide some protection/benefits, but it doesn't really make sense to call the shipping and transfer fees junk fees. If they weren't saving you money, you'd have bought locally and avoided them.

Page generated in 0.02291 seconds with 8 queries