View Single Post
Old May 7, 2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Sevens

As a brand new reloader, you may get completely overwhelmed (especially with regards to startup costs) if you try to get every single thing for ten calibers all at once. Why not pick two or three calibers and get started with those, learn a bit, then work toward the others as goals? Just the reloading dies in each caliber, if you buy all 10, is going to set you back a few hundred on their own. Have you considered that you'll need to buy bullets for each caliber? And an array of different powders, each at $20-$25 a pound?

The primer sizes are not all the same, and more-- you can't use pistol primers in rifle loads and vice versa except in a few rare cases. So eventually, you will need to stock three kinds of primers at a minimum-- Large rifle, small rifle, and small pistol.

For load data on the 7.62x39, also look for it marked ".30 Russian" The ".30 Russian" is obviously the SKS and AK-47 calibers. The much older 7.62x54R is a caliber for old surplus Mosin-Nagant rifles and is somewhat more obscure than 7.62x39.

My advice would be to skip over the 7.62x39 for now-- many folks still find that buying large lots of junk surplus ammo is a better deal than reloading this ammo. Obviously, not everyone agrees, but I think it's good advice.

Lee's perfect powder measure can be attached to some of the Lee progressive presses with a wire actuating arm, but I don't know if the turret press is one of those.

Page generated in 0.03710 seconds with 8 queries