View Single Post
Old March 22, 2011, 11:58 PM   #34
Old Wanderer

I had just the opposite 12 years ago. My elderly mother (87), had move to Arizona to be closer to the grand kids and great grand kids. Naturally they just ignored the old lady. I generally called her every night from SoCal.

I had to take a trip to Seattle, and talked to her on Wed night, told her I could not call until Friday night when I got home. Called at 5PM Fri, no answer, tried again at 8pm, no answer, called my niece and sister that live in the area (1 mile and 14 miles away) they had not talked to her for weeks.

Called the police to check the welfare, and they said only one light on, could hear nothing when the knocked. however one mentioned he could see a walker.

Well no walker, no mother, so I asked to to break the door down. Had to pay for a locksmith to come out at midnight to open the door.

Well there she was on the floor. Had fallen Wed after talking to me on the phone trying to hang the phone up from bed. Dehydrated, and knees/elbows bloody from trying to claw her way back to the bed.

Well a week in the hospital, and I pulled the plug on her "dream" moved her back to my home where we could look after her. She died at 95 still asking why nobody ever came to visit her.

Sometimes you just have to take the personal initiative.

Had another buddy that lived in a little cabin in the mountains. He disappeared for a week. I went to see him, had to break in (I already knew what had happened by the smell), His 4 cats had been dining on him for a few days. Heart attack.

Page generated in 0.02675 seconds with 8 queries