View Single Post
Old June 12, 2010, 06:31 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

Hawg - curiosity makes me ask - if you leave out the wad and/or the grease on your '58 Remy . . . . . what is your theory on why it chain fires. I know this subjuect could be "beat to death" but I really am curious to hear what you have to say about it. As I read what you said, I would have to assume that the chain fire is coming from the barrel end of the cylinder, not the cone end. I've witnessed a chainfire when a person was shooting "blank" loads, but honestly, have never experienced it in my '51 Navy. Again, if you are shearing off a ring of lead when you load, it seems like the ball is actually a "pressed fit" into the cylinder and there should be no "gaps" for want of a better word. Everybody uses their own load for what works best (measurement wise) so in theory, you may seat your balls deeper/more shallow than the next gentleman. I've never "miked" the ID of my cylinder chambers - is it possible for the ID of the chamber to vary the deeper you go into it towards the cone end? Is it possible for the opening (barrel end) to be a thousandth or so smaller at the opening than say a quarter inch or so deeper towards the cone end? If it is, then you would be actually seating an "undersize ball" it seems like which maybe would allow enough room for hot gasses/flame to set off the adjacent chamber from the barrel end. Just my thoughts on it as I was reading the posts and am curious to hear what you think causes it on your revolver if you don't grease or use a wad. Many thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03500 seconds with 8 queries